Hey, everyone, I wanted to put together a tutorial for my new project of DIY Pallet Wood Wall Art With Vinyl Lettering Or Vinyl Decals. I was scrolling through Pinterest and came across some inspiration which gave me this great idea to break up aged pallet wood put it back together as my own design with vinyl lettering or vinyl decals and create wall art for my home.
You will find the easy to follow steps below!
The materials you will need for this DIY wood sign project are
- (A) 7 boards that are the same length (we used pallet boards at 40”L)
- (B) 2 smaller pieces of wood for mounting (we used pallet boards again, at 23”L)
- Screws (make sure the screws will not go through both boards) & a screw gun or screwdriver
- Drill bits
- Wood glue
- Squeegee or credit card
- This World Map Vinyl Decal or Vinyl Lettering of your choice
If you would like to watch the quick how-to video, you can check it out here.
Or follow the 10 easy steps below:
1. Start by placing your wood boards face side down for positioning(A), lay the mounting boards (shorter boards B) on top of the larger boards (A) to decide where the mounting boards (B) should be positioned.
2. Once you have placed the mounting boards where you see fit, now you can take your drill and drill holes with a drill bit in the mounting boards only. Be sure to put 2 holes into each board, meaning there should be a total of 14 holes per mounting board.
Tip: Drilling these holes slightly smaller than your screw diameter before the placing the screws will prevent your boards from splitting.
3. Now carefully mark the placement of your mounting boards (B) with a pen or pencil. This will ensure you have your placement correct.
4. Once your boards are marked, remove them and apply wood glue for extra strength.
5. Now you can place you mounting board back on you sign over the glue area, and secure with screws. Tip: Make sure to use screws that are long enough to go through the mounting boards but not so long that they go all the way through the panel boards.
6. Once screws are placed into the mounting boards attaching them to all of the wooden panels you can flip over the whole project to be face up. And begin to center you custom vinyl decal or vinyl lettering. The easiest way to do this is to place the decal or vinyl letters where you want and then mark the masking of the vinyl and you wood sign surface.
Tip: Do not measure from the tape or backing measure from point to point on the vinyl decal or lettering itself.
7. After you have measured and marked, remove the backing of the vinyl decal or vinyl letters by flipping over the design and remove slowly. Adhere the decal carefully (use more than one person if necessary) and match decal up with your markings. Working from the center out, press down decal or vinyl letters your hand.
8. Using a squeegee or credit card make sure the entire decal has adhered!
9. Once you know the adhesive has stuck, take a knife and cut between each gap to relieve the tension. Then remove the masking tape carefully, due to this being a rough surface it is a bit time-consuming.
Tip: Remove masking tape slowly, because this is a rough surface there is more time needed to make sure vinyl decal is sticking correctly and not coming off with the masking tape. If you have issues you can always go back with a soft squeegee after to press down remaining vinyl that didn’t stick as well.
You can also create custom vinyl lettering for your sign by adding a name or family name to make more personal. –
Place your beautiful wooden sign on your wall to admire and for all to see! Be proud of the fact that you did it yourself.
Following these steps and using these materials make it very easy to put the project together and do it at home.
If you like our World Map decal design you can purchase it here!
Thank you for reading this post, we would love to hear your thoughts and ideas and if you have a request for our next project, leave a comment below!
This decal art and another vinyl lettering can be found at LetteringOnTheCheap.com.